Monday, August 23, 2010

I want to buy a new car....advice please?

I drive a 2002 pontiac grand am, with over 100,000 miles. I think it's at like 103,000 miles. There are some (vanity) things I need to fix on it but other then that it is a very reliable car. I was wondering if I should trade the car in or sell it independantly. Also, the car that I would like to buy is a Honda Element SC. Are they very good cars? Should I go for it because another car I like is a Scion TC. Which should I go for, I thought the Element would be more bang for the buck because i'm kind of sick of driving a tiny cramped car.I want to buy a new car....advice please?
just make sure you drive the Honda it's a big vehicle and the ride is a bit stiff compared to a car.





but it's highly recommended and very reliable.I want to buy a new car....advice please?
If you're tired of small cramped cars, the TC may not do much for you. On the other hand it is a very well equipped, great looking, fun to drive, economical to own ride.





The Element has all of those features plus loads of interior space, AND it's made in Marysville, Ohio. The E's styling is unique, which some people can't handle, but Element owners generally relish its different look. For more insight on the Element check out http://www.elementownersclub.com. It's a great site that even includes buying tips.





Speaking as a former Pontiac Grand Am owner, you've gotten about all you're going to get out of that ride. A dealer won't want it. You probably won't get much selling privately and it may take a while. Don't mean to be a downer here, just realistic. You may have enjoyed the Grand Am, but unless there's something really unique about it, it's not a high demand vehicle. They're everywhere. GM sold a ton of them. You'll make more money by getting great financing and driving a hard bargain on your new car purchase. Good luck!
Once the $300 a month car payment starts it is a forever payment that does not stop for years. I have an old car and I am not embarrassed to drive. It runs good and serves the purpose of getting me every where I want to go... Without a $300 a month payment... If buying a new car is an ego luxury item -- think twice about the monthly payment to satisfy your ego...
It takes about 60 days or more on average to sell your car independently with lots of advertising so trading your car in would be faster. The element SC is actually pretty sporty looking and might be the perfect car for you, though it is a little pricey compared to the scion xb and tc. I can tell you though if the Grand am was cramped for you, the TC will be the same if not worse. While your at the scion dealer take a look at the Xb you'll pribably like that as well. The only downfall I've heard from the Element is that people feel it is underpowered. Enjoy your car shopping!!
No don't buy a stupid Japnese Honda.... Buy an american ford or GM
Assuming the Pontiac is paid for I would not sell a car that is proven to be dependable that you can drive for free.





A new tC or Element will cost between $18k and $24K and come with payments averaging $380 - $450 a month for the next 5 years.





Even if the Pontiac started giving you maintenance problems it would be much cheaper to fix it then it would to pay for a new car.





For example Spending $1000 a year ($500 - $600 every 6 months) to repair your Pontiac is way cheaper than paying $4560 ($380 x12) a year to drive something new.





I can think of a lot better things to do with my money than spending it on a different car.
honda is not bad car although i do prefer vauxhal and with such a high milage i'd be inclined to use it as a trade in most garages do a set price no matter what state ur car is in if you shop around you can get a really good deal
i would take advice from friends with good cars like that.
In my experience, unless there is something wrong w/ the car other than cosmetic, you should try to sell it yourself. Look up the blue book for your car in your condition. Take off $500-1000 dollars and expect to sell it for 500-1000 less. This technique has worked well for me. Both cars I had to sell sold w/in 2 weeks. Unless this price comes to $500 you are better off to sell yourself. Since your car is fairly new, it will sell better. Otherwise, go to buy your new car and know what the blue book for your car is and demand that price or you won't buy the new car, but this can end up getting you a not so good deal on the new car. I don't know anything about the cars you are looking into other than Honda is great. I have a Pontiac G6 GT. I love it. I have the 4 door so it isn't cramped, and they have the new G8 which makes me drool.
You should always get a better price if you can sell a vehicle rather than disposing of it as a trade.





From Consumer Reports 2008 Annual Automotive Edition





For vehicle reliability, the '03-'07 Element receives a top overall rating. Of the 18 individual categories that make up the overall rating, the worst rating is good for body hardware for '03, '05, and '07 and body integrity for the '03.





The '05-'06 Scion TC would rate one level below the Element in overall reliability and the '07 is two levels below. Body integrity for '05-'07 receive the worse rating possible, with some additional problems with paint/trim, body hardware, The '07 has some additional areas of concern - audio system %26amp; power equipment.





There are a lot of reliable vehicles in all sizes. If your local library has the 2008 CR annual auto issue, it is a good source of info to guide you to a price range, size, and reliability that fits your needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment