Monday, August 23, 2010

Help?...I need a little new parenting advice! Wife experiencing first bits of Post-partum Depression...?

My wife and I just had a little girl in August. Wife has long Hx of depression. I have been fearing she would get PPD from the get-go. She has been on Prozac prior to the pregnancy with positive results. If I put her back on Prozac she will sacrifice her breastfeeding regimen with our daughter... Definitely, not an ego-booster there!





My sex-life with her has been nil since the beginning of the pregnancy...I am coping though! I just worry that if I don't something soon. It will get seemingly worse and something happen to our relationship as husband/wife-dad/mom.





Any insight would be greatly appreciated!Help?...I need a little new parenting advice! Wife experiencing first bits of Post-partum Depression...?
First thing to remember right now is that you are not alone! 1 in 8 women suffer from PPD... so their husbands are going through what you're going through as well. Know that it is treatable and you鈥檝e taken a very important first step.





This is such a serious situation, YahooAnswers just doesn't seem enough... as much as I love my fellow AnswerMates ;-) Personally, I feel giving your little angel formula and getting your wife back on Prozac would be the best and safest route to go. However, you will need to do everything possible to help your wife understand it's not her fault and it in no way means she failed her daughter in any way by not being able to breastfeed. It happens. The mental and physical health of your wife and the all around benefits to you and the baby far outweigh the benefits of breastfeeding... but that's just my opinion.





Anyway, this site has some very interesting info/treatment suggestions. You may have already read them but here they are...





http://www.emedicinehealth.com/postpartu鈥?/a>


http://www.emedicinehealth.com/postpartu鈥?/a>





Best of luck!!! Please post letting us know what you guys end up doing and how it goes. We'll be praying for you. Help?...I need a little new parenting advice! Wife experiencing first bits of Post-partum Depression...?
It is always the same a lot of women dont feel like it after having a baby because their hormones are all over the place and they are very tired too.





All you can do is help her with the baby as uch as you can, breast feeding is going to limit how much you can take over.





You have to be patient and when she stops breast feeding make sure you have some qualtiy time togeather.





you seem like a caring husband and i dont think she needs Prozac at this time in her life.
Congratulations on the baby girl! My oppion is deffantly talk to a doctor. The first thing that the doctors told me before I left the hospital after having my littke girl was if there were any symptoms of PPD to seek a professional.Its very common yes but it can get really bad, if you let it go. I would rather see her get help so you little girl can grow with both parents around. There are meds out there that she can take and still breast feed.
dont want to scare you but get professional help before its to late and you regret it forever. I know someone whos wife just committed suicide, leaving behind 2 small children. help her.... do whatever it takes.
You need to sit down and talk about it with her. She can do other things besides sex to please you! Its better to tell her how you feel rather than going else where!
Firstly, congratulations on your little girl! Secondly I admire you for expressing such great concern for your wife's wellbeing. Post natal depression is apparently reasonably common but you are doing the right thing by raising a concern. I would definitely suggest you both seeing a GP for a start and/or your wifes psychiatrist. They would know of any alternatives to the Prozac and would be your best port of call. Don't take the issue lightly, you definitely need to take action ASAP and work together to overcome this problem. As for the sex life I would say (as frustrating as it may be) that you need to deal with the depression first before you raise that issue with her. Goodluck!

No comments:

Post a Comment