Sunday, August 22, 2010

Buying a new clarinet? Any tips/ advice?

Hi, I play clarinet at Grade 4. I have been playing for four years. Currently I am using a clarinet supplied my school, so when i leave next September, i will have to leave it behind. Before I do leave i would like to purchase a my own clarinet. I have no idea what to look for, or what clarinet would be best for me.... any ideas/tips?


Thanks :DBuying a new clarinet? Any tips/ advice?
Well, if you are going to be outside with it (marching band...) then you should definitely get a plastic horn. The selmers work good for me. If the horn you are looking for is purely for concert band, then go with a wood one. Buffet is a good brand. They are pricey, but play nicely. Also, to improve your sound a one pin ligature is way better than the cheap silver ones. Also, a B45 Van Duren mouthpiece will greatly improve your sound (at least it did for me). Lastly, if you're not already, use Van Duren reeds. Rico are crap. If you are a grade four you should use at least a size three reed. Good luck finding a good horn.





:)Buying a new clarinet? Any tips/ advice?
You have been playing for 4 years so I am sure your teacher knows you by now. Talk to the teacher. This is their job. and they should be knowlegable about the instrument that would be best for you.


We can't ask you enough questions to make a good decision for you, but your teacher can.


Good Luck. Glad to see you sticking with it.
Go to your local Music Store they should have some.


i like Bundys myself since i have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment