Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Want Advice for New Laptop and OS?

Soon I will buy a laptop solely for my new consulting business. It will serve as my business office, as well serving an important role in interactions with my clients. I need pretty good graphics for displaying real time, medical monitoring outputs.





As a consultant with a virtual office, my physical appearance is very important. This includes my laptop. It must look professional, sleek, and capable -- and deliver. I am in business performance training, and my notebook must complement what I do, in all of its aspects that clients will see.





I was looking at Sony Viao notebooks, perhaps the SZ series. Good choice? Suggestions?





And what about Vista? Or Vista Business? They come on the new $1500+ laptops that I've seen. Up to now my home pc has run XP Pro and Pro Office 2000. As far as I know, Office 2000 willl not run on Vista. I'd have to get the new Pro Office. So, what advantages does Vista have over XP Pro?





Is Vista Business the best Vista version? Why?Want Advice for New Laptop and OS?
Theron, The first link is to the laptop notebook that should compliment your attire, and I believe these have the built in camera and microphone.





As far as Vista Business, this is the one that I run on my desktop currently, I have used XP Home and Pro both since they were released, and I have been running Vista Business since it's release, Out of All the Operating Systems that I have used over the last 20 years, I would honestly have to say Vista Business is the Best Available.. There is only one more above it, that's ';Ultimate';, which is mostly the same except more eye candy then Business, Vista has alot more drivers integrated with it than XP had, and it recognizes a ton more peripherals than XP ever could, I don't work for Microsoft, matter of fact, I despise them sometimes, but I would have to place my bets, and my Technician Experience with Vista Business, Hands Down, No other in my book can match it.. I have 1 1/2 GB of memory with Intel Dual Processor, and a 160 gig hard drive, and the entire pc only uses about 475 MB's of memory at it's peak. Which is great, that leaves me a good Gig of memory for my office 2007, and Adobe, etc. MS Office 2003 and Up works great with Vista, the only program that I had that is incompatible with Vista was Sygate Firewall, which is no big deal.. Go for the link below and load vista business on it, you will be impressed, has I have been too.Want Advice for New Laptop and OS?
u will; have a hard time locating a notebook with xp on it now ... i can tell u an awesome notebook would be a sager ... and u could get it with xp still coz they will build it to order .. i have this one and love its looks ... and performance ..


http://www.pctorque.com/sager-5760-gamin鈥?/a>





.
Your hardware choice is good but your OS choice is not, anything M$ is bad imho for various reasons. If you truly want to dazzle and impress your customers then go with ubuntu linux and install the Beryl 3d cube desktop, it will blow them away! I did a demonstration recently of that setup on some game systems I'm building and they didn't even want to know what it cost, they had to have it, it's that original. Here's a screenshot of Beryl on Ubuntu in action:





http://www.hollandpcservice.com/phpBB2/i鈥?/a>





You'll notice on this desktop that both Ubuntu and windows xp is visible, this is made possible with vmware.
I would recommend XP over Vista. Vista has simply had too many problems and compatibility issues (especially with games being incompatible, but if you won't be playing games on it that's not really important for you). There have also been a few customers coming in to complain about connection and router issues with Vista - ';It worked with XP, now it doesn't with Vista.'; And with the amount resources that it drains from the computer, I'd just say Vista isn't worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment