Thursday, July 29, 2010

New Puppy Advice?

I picked up my new puppy yesterday, he's gorgeous and loves cuddles. Now, I have a couple of issues that I need help with.





Firstly, I'm house training him the same way as I did my last dog. Taking him out in the garden every 30 mins, after sleep, play, meal etc - saying a key word, and praising like mad when he goes. Last night was very long winded as he seemed scared of the dark and outside, so was only weeing when I bought him back in. Through the night and today he's been very good, and seems to be toileting on command when I take him out. However, when he's running around inside, he still toilets randomly - so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.





Also, I'm back at work (4 hours) Mon, and I'm struggling with where to leave him. I popped out today for 2 hours, and left him in his box, and he was still asleep when I came back. Obviously he won't stay asleep for 4 hours, so I need to restrict him to one room - is this ok? But I assume I should expect lots of mess!New Puppy Advice?
Its completely normal for a puppy to wee around the house when you first get it. Many puppies were scared of the dark, as mine was.


In the end i went outside with her in the dark until she got used to it and wasnt scared anymore. I suggest that you maybe keep the pupy in one room when you go to work, leave it with water, food, toys, a bed and plenty of newspaper on the floor.


This website has a lot of infirmhttp://www.allaboutpets.org.uk/web/site/AllAboutPets/Homepage.aspation on..New Puppy Advice?
He's only 7 wks old according to your other questions. You aren't doing anything wrong, he's still just a baby and really has little to no control at this point. Potty training takes weeks to months, not days. Patience is a virtue. To avoid accidents with my little girl, I'd hold her as much as I could, she wasn't going to piddle on me. After she'd go potty, I'd let her down to play or eat, whatever, and when it was getting closer to time for her to need to go, I'd pick her back up and we'd cuddle awhile.





Yes, pick a room, and puppyproof it and that will be fine for while you are gone. You can either put down newspapers or piddle pads to help with the mess.
You can leave him in the yard during the day so he gets more familiar with it and where he's more comfortable to go potty. Then when at home do your house training for the signs of needing to go potty, thus training him for more than one thing at one time and doing it in a way that isn't traumatic or stressful for him or you. You might actually find this more beneficial for the both of you. There will no doubtedly be an accident, it's beyond everyones control.


Gina
crate training works best.. out first thing to pee.. in to eat.. then back out to run and poop..





you must got out everytime and offer an instant soft treat reward every time..





I dont know how old the pup is but you cannot expect to train them over a weekend.. especially if they are under 12 weeks of age..


crate him when you are at work...





as far as mess goes - better food = less mess





http://www.gomestic.com/Pets/What-is-in-鈥?/a>
Could you not build him a run for outside in the garden then he would get used to peeing outside and you would not need to worry about leaving him for four hours.
The best thing to do is restrict him to either one small area or room, or a crate, making sure that there are no electical wires and other things he can chew on. Either put puppy training pads on the floor (these have a scent that attracts the puppy to them) or use newspaper. 4 hours is too long to expect him to be dry but if he's in a small area he should try to go as far from his bed as possible.


Your doing the right things and although he may seem a little nervous when it's dark, don't try to comfort him. He'll pick up the 'wrong' message if you fuss him, so just stay calm and treat it as normal. When he does do something in the dark praise him even more than you do during the day to reinforce the message that he's done the right thing.When he does squat inside (as a baby he's going to have accidents) just pick him up gently and take him outside. Eventually he'll start going to the door when he needs to go.


Get a good cleaner with an odour neutraliser and clean up the accidents as soon as you can, especially on carpet. You need patience and a calm attitude and I'm sure you'll get there quickly.


Enjoy his babyhood and give him a hug from me!
Your doing the right thing! It takes time for new puppies to know where to go and just go there. Leaving him in the crate while you are gone is good too (they won't want to go where they sleep). Don't worry, before you know it he'll be an outdoor peeing champ)!!
I'm pleased to hear that you are housebreaking correctly, restrict him inside to ONE room, basically the kitchen. Do not give him complete freedom of the house unless supervised. You could also try hooking him to a long leash and tieing it to you so he has to stay close to you. Most books do say confine to a room with a floor that is easy to clean, ie kitchen etc. That way if he has an accident it's all in one location. He's still tiny so he might have accidents as he's got a really small bladder so give it time. If he's still doing in in a few weeks then you might want to have him checked for a bladder infection.





As for leaving him during the day, leave him in the kitchen, blocked off and put puppy pads down, give him a bed to sleep on and toys make sure he has water, make sure the room is puppy proofed and come home during lunch to let him out and check on him. If you have a friend that can check on him during the afternoon before you come home that'll work, or look into doggie day care (some vets offer this) or look into a pet walker. If you are only working on monday for 4 hours he will be perfectly fine in the kitchen while you're gone.





Good luck with your new puppy. Remember, get him on a routine as soon as possible.
I've taken care and trained dogs and cats eversince I was little, so hopefully I can help.





As you know, it takes a puppy getting used to going outside, but heres what you can do, praise him and such, and give him a treat, but not everytime! If he goes outside lets say, 3 times with out having an accident, give him a treat, he'll have it set in his mind ';If I keep going outside, I'll get a tastey treat... I wonder what the mailman taste like...';





And while you're away, Try the puppy pads, easy clean up, and it hinders the smell... Not much, but a little.





Hope you can find this of some use.. And good luck with your puppy! Pet him for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment