Thursday, July 29, 2010

New vegetarian advice, do you have anything to add?

I am 23, and have been a vegetarian since 21. I was ridiculed by my friends and family cause I would ALWAYS be the first one in line at the pig roast. I LOVED meat and would always be the first one to defend myself if a vegetarian criticized me. My girlfriend(who is not overweight at all) was the only one who stuck by me.





Long story short, I was 20 years old, 337 lbs, and had a heart attack while carrying groceries up to my 3rd floor apartment.





This happened around May. After multiple cardiologist visits and a laundry list of medication and diet suggestions I was sent home to contemplate how I should change my life.





I tried to cut out red meat but couldn't. I tried to substitute chicken and healthier meats but it just kept me wanting something else. So, I made a goal to try a vegetarian lifestyle once I hit 21. My girlfriend didn't want me to drink so she offered to treat me to a seafood restaurant that I have been dying to go to for years. So I ended my meat eating diet with a great seafood dinner.





I have not ate meat since, and I will go on record and say I should have done it sooner. I am 23, almost 24. In 2 and a half years, I have lost about 100 lbs. I am now 230ish, but a very fit 230. Having to carry all that weight for years made my body stronger than it had to be to support it.





I have monumental stamina, the strength of a bull, and I am happier than ever. I no longer have depression or focus issues, and I cannot remember the last time I have been really sick. Sure, I had a cold once in a while but I got over it before it really even started. Losing that weight is such an indescribable feeling.





When asked how I did it, I tell them about my choice to go vegetarian combined with an exercise program.





Here is what I tell certian people who are interested in a vegetarian lifestyle or are already:





-It's not about the animals, it's about you.





-Don't jump down peoples throats because they eat meat. Let them see for themselves. This is a sure way to lose respect.





-Don't do it to lose weight, do it to be healthy





-Understand that you don't HAVE to be vegetarian to be healthy. A healthy diet CAN include beef, chicken, pork, etc





-Don't think that you have a moral high ground because you don't eat meat. I am sure we all do things that pollute, contribute to global warming, contribute to animal suffering, or harm something indirectly.





-It is impossible to stay away from animal products. Somewhere down the line an animal or animal byproduct was used in the harvesting, preparing, consumption, ingredient, etc. So if you have some jello that contains gelatin, don't freak and hate yourself.





-Don't associate yourself or buy into PETA propaganda





-Don't use phrases like ';go gorge on your dead animal flesh'; or any sort of derivative.





-Don't do it to be the center of attention.





-Promote your lifestyle when asked. If you really want to start a conversation, drop subtle hints to make them ask.





-Keep in mind that 99% of people who eat meat go out and buy it prepackaged in a nice plastic wrap that bares no resemblance to the animal that had to be killed. They do not consciously realize they are eating an animal. I am sure if we were all forced to go kill our own cows, pigs, and chickens we would have a LOT more fruit and vegetable farmers. So don't call somebody an animal murderer.





-If your situation includes ';I love animals and I want to go vegetarian how do I convince my mom?'; Unfortunately, even though you have a great cause, you will not be taken seriously. If you are still living with parents and do not control what food is bought, you may have to deal with it until you move out or start buying your own food. Instead of asking parents to not buy you meat products, ask them to buy more vegetables and fruits in addition to their regular stock. Over time, eat less and less of what is on your plate and they may take you with more seriousness. I know it may be hard to eat it for a while, but you have to understand that however righteous your cause is, it is not how the world works.





-Fish, Poultry, and Crustaceans are meat. Don't call yourself a vegetarian and eat salmon, chicken, or shrimp. If you don't eat beef but eat chicken or seafood, you are not a vegetarian. You just don't eat beef.





-You will get cravings, especially when somebody is grilling. It is hard, very hard. But if you struggle through for the first few months, that smell will become foreign and unappealing.





-Last one I have is that just because you are a vegetarian doesn't necessarily mean you are healthier than somebody who eats meat. Overweight and unhealthy vegetarians do exist.





-If you have meat-eater friends come over for dinner, consider making them something neutral. Pasta is a good example. Don't make a ';stuffed pepper with whole grain rice, fresh herbs, a sprinkle of roasted garlic with a side of spinach with extra virgin olive oil dressing';





-A vitaminNew vegetarian advice, do you have anything to add?
good job you are a good example of how veggieness can help people turn there life around








make shure you stay motivated


my motivation is animal well fair


make shure you are keeping a balanced diet


and also watch your protein intake








good jobNew vegetarian advice, do you have anything to add?
Make sure you get enough protein and vitamins. It may be a good idea to take a multivitamin daily.
What a great story! The way you have improved yourself is wonderful, and vegetarianism is an excellent way to do that. :)





I second the PETA thing.





You can probably improve yourself even more by giving veganism a try. Check out the books by Dr. McDougall or Kathy Freston.





As far as cooking for friends, I recommend making a favorite dish of theirs, but veganizing it, and not telling them what was in it until AFTER it's been eaten and complimented! Food is a great way to show people that being a vegetarian isn't so bad. I'm vegan, and I brought a soy key lime ';cheesecake';. I didn't say it was vegan, I just put it out, and people completely ate it up!





Read a good nutrition book, so you know how to properly feed yourself, get all your nutrients, and stay healthy.





If you are a teenager living at home, it IS possible to convince your parents to go veg. I did! I was 11 when I became a vegetarian. What you have to do is read as many books and websites you can find about nutrition and cooking as a vegetarian, and know your facts. If you can properly support all of your reasons and arguments, most sensible parents can't deny you your choice. Offer to help cook. Parents are reluctant to accept teen vegetarians because they think it's a phase that you'll grow out of, and that you're not serious. Proove to them that this isn't true, and you've got it!

No comments:

Post a Comment