Thursday, July 29, 2010

New Puppy Advice?!?

I am buying a wooden pen for my Daushund puppy. I dont want to put him in a cage... I want to use it for when nobody is home so he doesn't make a mess.I won't be using it at night for sleeping or anything.


So i figured I would put his favorite bed and toy and water in it...but I don't know if I should put a newspaper with the scent spray down on one side for him to use to go potty.... or should I just let him hold it? ... I am using the pad technique to housebreak him . So i want to do what is best for the success of his housebreaking and for when he is housebroken and I still use the pen.New Puppy Advice?!?
You will be ';crate training'; him. You do not have to put down paper or housebreaking pads in his crate unless you are going to be gone for long periods of time. Remember that if you leave his water, inside the crate with him, he will drink it and then he will have to urinate. Puppies tend to urinate about every 2 hours, so if you are going to be gone longer than 2 hours then you need to put down one housebreaking pad or some paper. I like the housebreaking pads because most puppies will not tear them or chew them up. Many puppies love to rip up the paper.





Also, small puppies have small bladders and it is harder for them to hold it in, so it would be unwise to leave the puppy in his crate with nowhere for him to do his thing!New Puppy Advice?!?
You never want to leave a new puppy in a cage without some kind of paper down for him to potty on. I have a 2 year old doxie and I leaned that the hard way. She used to potty on her bed, even though everyone says dachshunds never pee where they sleep! And really, I suppose it would all just depend on how long the puppy will be alone. Puppies have a very small bladder and cannot hold it very long at all. I had to take my doxie out almost every fourty five minutes and she peed every time. Then can't be expected to hold it and they won't.
Your puppy won't be able to hold it for very long, so you should put a pad down for him. When he gets close to a year, you can probably leave him all day without the pads. Good luck.
My puppy actually had a cage which he loved. When we were there we would leave the door open and he'd just wander into and play. Put down the paper. My dog was more ore less fully trained within the week except for the occasional accident. Overnight he will make a mess regardless of what you try but during the day it should be fine. When you are there you need to watch him and as soon as he shows any signs of wanting to go to the toilet carry him outside and set him down somewhere away from the entrance. Praise him when he does it outside and if he has an accident a simple bad dog will suffice. He'll learn it in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment