Thursday, July 29, 2010

Advice on a new pushchair/buggy?

I have a 20 month old and another due anytime now.I'm after a double buggy and a bit bemused by all the choices.Which is best - side by side or tandem?Advice on a new pushchair/buggy?
I personally went for a tandem.





I went for this because I asked two friends in town one day, one had a tandem and the other had a side by side which one they preferred and they said that the tandem can go into shops etc but the side by side often has to stay outside and they find it hard when they want to go clothes shopping and can't get the advice they need as one has to stay outside.





I also found that I could get on the bus without taking the kids out of the pushchair when my friend had to take hers out because the pushchair wouldn't fit on the bus.





Definitely the tandem - loved mine.Advice on a new pushchair/buggy?
I had my two 20 months apart. I borrowed a double buggy and gave it back very promptly, I hated it. It was so hard to push, particularly round shops. I got a buggy board and a strap from Mothercare that went round the toddlers wrist and tied to my wrist. It was much better and easier, It also lasted a long time (just stopped the wrist strap after a while).





If I was choosing a double buggy out of necessity then I would go for a side by side three wheeler type as these are fantastic to push (a toddler and a baby are pretty heavy as the baby grows). Not necessarily practical if your car is small but they are so much easier to manoever than an umbrella folder, you can even move them with one hand (make sure the front wheel swivels).





Good luck with your decision.
With a 20 month age gap, I personally wouldn't get a double buggy of any description, I'd use a baby sling for the youngest for th first few months and then get a buggy board.


However, in answer to your question. I've always found side by side a better choice myself. You can still get it round the shops (well most of them), it's easier to get on a bus.


I've found tandem very heavy to push and, as I'm short, difficult to see over the top of. Also takes a bit of judgement when going round corners! Although they are brilliant if you have 2 children who tend to fight a lot.


To be honest it really depends on what fits your lifestyle better...do you use public transport, how far your older one can actually walk, and so on...
I would agree with the answerer before me about the tandem. Another good thing about tandem is that the older one can't reach the little one. I know toddlers like to pull on and touch babies so it'll probably be safer. And once they're a bit older, if you still use the tandem, they can't fight, lol!
PHIL AND TED!!!!!!!! THE BEST!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment