Thursday, July 29, 2010

New job advice please??

Please could someone give me some advice about my new job Im starting tomorrow!! Getting really nervous, I know I wont be able to sleep tonight.. I have had new jobs before, but they have all been small workplaces. This is a really huge company. From when I went to the interview, people seemed to be wearing black pants and a blouse, but I only have two! I cant find any nice ones, I looked all weekend. I have moved to the area a few months ago, so not sure what I would do about dinner. I hate new things and get really panicky if I feel im going to be left to my own devices on my first day! The job I am doing is purchase ledger, and i have had a bit of experience, but not alot, they know this, but I hope they dont throw me in at the deep end, which is what my last job did (I had no experience whatsoever!!)I keep thinking to myself ';whats the worst that could happen';? I want to make a good impression, and not look like an idiot! lolNew job advice please??
hi,


Im not a careers advisor or anything but know where your coming from, its hard starting something new especially when there's that added possiblity of failure, for instant i applied and got into uni three years ago and have delayed starting out of complete and utter fear of messing up so now i'm traveling, first australia and now italy seeing if i can grow a little confidence. So from two years of traveling meeting a whole range of people and seeing what life has to offer i can honestly tell you dont panic and dont let fear of not being able to do the job grow as its a sure fire way to fail,


as for clothes come on you dont have to by a whole new wabrobe to impress anybody, its better to be comfortable in what you already have when you first start a new job anyway, of course get the essentials you think you might need but dont go over board as remember you got a whole month till your next pay check, lol





as for dinner first thing to do is start a conversation with another staff member about wheres good to eat in the area, they can either straight out tell you where to go or even if you make a good impression invite you along with them.





if you are left alone to your own devices on your first day dont panic everyone there will know your new and will probably answer any questions you have or show how the company likes things done, just remember to ask if you need help. asking for help doesn't make you look stupid, it shows that you have the drive to succed and to do things properly.





as for the company being much bigger then your used to, i have to say a company is just a company, i worked for a major retail company in the uk and got three promotions in three years so im telling you that with a larger company theres a bigger chance of promotion, plus with a larger staff theres less chance you'll be over worked, of course a bigger company lacks the personal touch but hopefully you'll meet some other like minded people and have a nice circle of work friends.





most importantly the hardest part was getting the job, and you got it so theres no need to panic, experience grows with practice so just do what you have to do.





peace out





Agony Aunt LMAONew job advice please??
well young lady , you just need to be yourself , clothes I understand are important to you but you have at least one set for tomorrow , new job new start , all the history of past jobs are gone , you can find out what the dress code is and adapt you work wardrobe to suit, no need to worry , I am sure that they will not through you in at the deep end and if they do ,see your supervisor and say sorry but you need some support while you settle in, have a great day tomorrow I am sure you will get home tomorrow night a say what was all the fuss about.
Try to bear in mind that your new employer must have a degree of faith in you or they wouldn't have appointed you!


They aren't going to throw you in at the deep end, why would they? It's not in their interests to do so. Remember, contemplation of any perceived problem is always worse than the reality. You always look back and think 'Well that wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be'. Trust me, and good luck.
Just be yourself. Everyone is nervous during there first day. Be friendly and talk to your new co workers because your going to spend most of your time with them but not to much though. Good luck on your first day!
Just be yourself and relax you will be fine :) good luck in your new job in a month or so time you will wont know what all the fuss was about :)
The fact that you worry so much about these things tells me that you are going to be just FINE! Obviously, you are a passionate woman personally and professionally so, with that being said, remember what attracts people to you in the first place.. CONFIDENCE in yourself. Start your new job tomorrow telling yourself that they are lucky to have YOU because you obviously take this job very seriously and THAT in itself is why I know they chose they right person for the job! GO GET EM GIRLFRIEND!





P.s Take a hot bubble bath tonight about 2 hours before bed! It will relax you! (DO NOT DRINK AND DO NOT TAKE A SLEEPING PILL-YOU WILL BE GROGGY) Make sure you eat a good breakfast in the morning with plenty of protien. Protien wakes up the brain!! EGGS- EGGS- EGGS are the best protien for the brain!!!
It's always scary starting a new job - I expect your new boss will totally appreciate that and look after you in your first few days. Especially as you are working for a larger company - they will probably have a structure for new people. At lunch time, perhaps ask someone to point you in the right direction to get something to eat. With regards to clothes, well, you will soon see what people wear in the office when you get there and that will help you guage your own outfits. If you only have two blouses now, don't worry - you can add to your collection in the future. In the meantime, just add some accessories to change your outfit like a pretty scarf, necklace, bracelets etc to make your look different. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment