Thursday, July 29, 2010

I'm new to weight lifting and need some advice?

I'm sitting at home recovering from surgery and have decided to lose some weight. I bought a 40lb. dumbbell set that I thought would be good since I'm a beginner. I don't know much about lifting though, like what works what muscles and how much to do etc. I've got that wonderful underarm flab to get rid of, and I just need to tone up overall. Once I can begin walking again I plan on working on my overall weight loss but thought while I'm home stuck on the couch I could at least START something. I don't have money for a personal trainer, OR a gym so any ';at home'; workout ideas are greatly appreciated. Currently I've been doing crunches and have an 8lb. barbell plate that I've been using for weight. Like I said, I just bought this new set today so ..... HELP ME PLEASE!! Thanks!I'm new to weight lifting and need some advice?
Okay..I suggest losing the weight that you're using with your crunches..that will give you bulging stomach muscles.





For each exercise do 8 repetitions of the motion. This is called a set. Do 3 sets.


Standing Dumbbell Curls





This exercise is similar to the barbell curl. It works the biceps and forearms.





Grab a pair of dumbbells. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Let the dumbbells hang at arms length on each side of your body. Keep your elbows close to your torso at all times.





Moving only your forearms, use your bicep strength to curl the dumbbells up to shoulder level. Rotate your hands so that your palms are facing upwards at the top. Hold this position for a second to maximize the peak contraction in the biceps. Slowly lower the dumbbells to the starting position. Repeat.





Tricep Dumbbell Extensions





This exercise works the triceps, particularly the long inner head of the triceps.





Grab a dumbbell with one hand. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Lift the dumbbell so that it is at arms length straight above you shoulder. Keep a slight bend in your knees to take pressure off the lower back.





Lower the dumbbell in an arc motion behind your head until your elbow is at a 90-degree angle. Lift the dumbbell in an arc motion back to the starting position. Repeat for the desired number of reps. Do the same for the other arm.





Tip - You can do this exercise with both arms at the same time by using a barbell, two dumbbells, or holding 1 dumbbell with two hands.





I hope this helps!I'm new to weight lifting and need some advice?
Some great resources for working out at home can be found in magazines like Self, Muscle %26amp; Fitness Hers, and Oxygen.





Of course you will want to clear any exercise with your doctor as you have just completed surgery.





Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment