Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Some advice on my new kitten please?

The 10 week wait is over and I finally got my gorgeous little ball of fluff on Sunday. She is just adorable, and very clever using her kitty litter straight away (thanks to everyone for advice on kitty litter a few weeks ago) I also asked for some names for her and for those of you who answered I have named her Isis, pronounced Ice ess. My little boy calls her icy, which I think is very cute to! Anyway I’m so excited I’m rambling so I’ll get to the question. I was concerned about how my little dog would act with a new kitten, but my dog is being wonderful with her, it’s the kitten that is terrified of the dog. She is aching her back, hissing and scratching my dog when she comes to close. And they keep having these staring standoffs, the kitten is fine until the dog moves. What should I do? I know its only day 2, so should I just be supervising and letting them sort it out themselves? Do you think kitty will get used to the dog and stop her hissing and scratching? I’m just worried that our dog will lose an eye the way they are going, but the dog is so good with her she just wants to say hello but is scared of the kitten and backs off lol. Anything I should be doing or some advice would be great!!!! Thanks so much :)Some advice on my new kitten please?
Just be patient. The kitten is very young and probably isn't sure what exactly a dog is. The hissing, arching of the back and scratching are perfectly normal and a way of trying to demonstrate that although she's small, she isn't a pushover.





The dog, being older, recognizes Isis as another animal. Since he isn't being aggressive in retaliation, he obviously understands that she doesn't really mean any harm and I'm guessing that he backs off more in disappointment than anything else.





Like I said, just be patient. Continue to supervise them. You could try setting their food bowls out at the same time, on different sides of the room, and each day bring them closer together. By the time the bowls are side by side, I think you will find that the two animals will have figured everything out.





Good luck.Some advice on my new kitten please?
I would just let the two of them work things out. If the dog is being so wonderful the kitten will get used to the dog and know that it is of no harm. This is all a natural part of GETTING TO KNOW EACH OTHER!!! If the dog hasn't yelped then the kitten isn't really being defensive--the kitten is just saying ';Stay back, I'm not too sure of you yet.'; They are both curious of each other. You could also trim the kittens claws so there isn't blood drawn on the dog, just to be safe.


They'll be good friends!!! I have a cat, German Shepherd and Beagle--they get along well and my cat is declawed so if he swipes at either one of them in play nothing happens but he does have is hide claws when he thinks he needs to get rough.
As you said it's only day 2. I have 3 cats and a few weeks ago I got a dog. It took about a week for the youngest cat, (she is still a kitten really) to get used to Honey. Now they play all the time. The 2 older cats do not like to play, the oldest runs away (she is quite small as she was a stray that we found when she was 2 weeks old) and the second oldest is huge... like a lion lol. He just has to sit quiet and raise a paw inthe air if Honey goes near him and Honey backs off lol. It took all my cats a good few weeks to get used to each other too. Just hang in there, it takes time, I am still waiting after a few weeks...
Give it a week or two before you let them be alone together without supervision. You don't want a tragedy, and a dog can hurt a kitten without even meaning to.





It's great your dog is good with the kitten, though. Dogs sometimes don't like sharing.
Give it some time.





Cats are naturally afraid of dogs, but they can outgrow it. I've had both several times.





It's good that your dog isn't being aggressive. It sounds like the dog will have to be patient. The dog will learn to avoid the cat's claws until they acclimate to each other.





Don't force it. Don't get upset at the kitten for acting on its natural instincts. Just let them exist together, and they'll become friends.
give them some time, the only other dogs she has probaley ever seen barked/chased at her. They will work it out.
Hi, I'm a Vet Tech and this is the advice that we would give any of our customers at our practice - Let the kitten get used to the dog and also her new home. Moving to a new place can be quite interesting and scary for a new pet. I would supervise, just to make sure nothing happens to your dog in the process. Soon, the kitten will get used to new home and get used to her new family. Hope this helps! Remember to get your kittens boosters!
First, keep the kittens nails clipped.


Second, things will settle down between the animals adventually, even if it is an uneasy truce. It takes time. I found that once I stopped trying to be the peacekeeper between my cats, and let them work it out..they were fine.
i know Isis will get used to your dog. she is just afraid because your dog is bigger than her and something that she has never seen before. supervise. do not let the dog chase her or anything like that. my 12 year old cat was able to get used to my boyfriend's 2 dogs within one month. she still has her hissing and swatting moments... but they are few and far between. all pets that live together will have their differences, just like people.... but they will be fine.


encourage them both when they are around each other. pet them both and maybe give them both treats when they are being friendly. and give it time. kitty will get used to the big funny looking creature!
Cats are very territorial creatures. A dog is often perceived as an invading force. Your dog also presents a very unfamiliar and foreign presense which can make your kitty feel very insecure and threatened. If it's only two days,, it may be worth it to wait it out a little longer. If the hissing continues, you should call your vet and ask for advice, and if need be, ask to be referred to an animal behaviorist who could give you more information and advice. I hope the situation settles down and that this all works out. Good luck.
Just give them some time to get used to each other and keep an eye on them when they are together.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made a very big mistake fighting my husband, just because him ask me to give him a child after 9years of our married. This created a distance in our relationship, and our married was feeling out of controlling, but the truth is that i was telling him the right thing, that when the time comes we have our baby. and one day him say to me that him can not do this any more, that is over. This was killing me and i was really hurt because I feel like I am going to lose him for another women. We have been together for 9years, i don’t know what to do any more. but today all thanks to priest Obom of solutiontemple220@gmail.com who send something down to me to drink and i was able to get pregnant. this make my husband happy came back home. what will i have done if not for priest Obom roots and herbals drugs him gave to me. again thanks to priest Obom of solutiontemple220@gmail.com if you are having problem getting pregnant contact priest Obom for help

Unknown said...

i want to say a very big thanks to this great man called Priest Onome of priestonomeherbaltemple@outlook.com who help me to get pregnant after so many years of barreness , at first i thought his a scam because my friend was scamed by one so called doctor who do not help and live her with nothing , but with the faith i have and trust ,i gave Priest Onome a try and now am pregnant with no more issues, thank you Priest Onome for all you have done, please if you are having same issues do not be scared to contact him because indeed is real kind, you can contact him with his email address : priestonomeherbaltemple@outlook.com thank you once more Priest onome

Unknown said...

Am still telling the whole about what priest onome did for me, i want to say a very big thanks to this great man called Priest Onome of priestonomeherbaltemple@outlook.com who help me to get pregnant after so many years of bareness , at first i thought his a scam because my friend was scammed by one so called doctor who do not help and live her with nothing , but with the faith i have and trust ,i gave Priest Onome a try and now am pregnant with no more issues, thank you Priest Onome for all you have done, please if you are having same issues do not be scared to contact him because indeed is real kind, you can contact him with his email address : priestonomeherbaltemple@outlook.com thank you once more Priest onome

Unknown said...

I really want to thank priest Onome for the great work he did for me. after 2years of my marriage i and my husband was really desperate to have our own child but it was very hard we have seek for so many advice on how i can conceive and have my child but none of them work for me. but through the help of great priest Onome whose email address is priestonomeherbaltemple@outlook.com i was able to conceive 3weeks after him has send me a parcel mix of roots and herbals drugs. With so much joy in my heart i and my husband want to recommend priest Onome to everyone that has been looking for help for a long time to conceive to kindly contact priest Onome to help you with his roots and herbals drugs, contact him via his email address priestonomeherbaltemple@outlook.com

Unknown said...

am still telling the whole world about Priest Onome on what he did for me and my family, i never believed that am going to get pregnant again until my friend introduce him to me that he help her to get pregnant after 13yrs of bareness, and i deeply take the risk and faith that he will surly help me too to get pregnant and today make it a month Priest Onome of priestonomeherbaltemple@outlook.com cast a pregnancy spell for me and am 2weeks pregnant , thanks you so much Priest Onome and my friend Lorena who introduce Priest Onome for me, for more information about Priest Onome, hurry now and contact him for help via his email : priestonomeherbaltemple@outlook.com


Unknown said...

what a great joy in my heart, am still thanking Priest Onome for helping me with his pregnancy spell which help me to get pregnant after many years of marriage , i will never keep shot, i will continue to talk good about you everywhere i go, indeed your roots and herbs and pregnancy spell is very powerful which has help me to get pregnant, for more info on how you can get your problem solve contact Priest Onome with his mobile number +2347060458342.

Unknown said...

Are you need help to solve your infertility problem or to get pregnant?
contact Priest Onome on this email (priestonomeherbaltemple@outlook.com) have been trying for years to get pregnant but it did not work for me, so i needed help, i have been going to the doctors but still nothing. The doctor said that me and my husband are fine and I don’t know where else to turn. Until one day my friend introduce me to this Africa man call Priest Onome, who help her get pregnant, So I decided to contact this man Priest Onome on his email (priestonomeherbaltemple@outlook.com) after interaction with him he instructed me on what to do, after then i should have sex with my husband or any man I love in this world, And i did so, within the next one months i went for a check up and my doctor confirmed that i am 2weeks pregnant of two babies. I am so happy!! if you also need help to get pregnant please contact his email address: priestonomeherbaltemple@outlook.com, I am now a mother of twins.
He will also do it for you. THANKS

Post a Comment