Tuesday, November 22, 2011

New baby and asking for advice?

So my baby was sick a few nights ago with a fever and I called my mom for advice. My stepdad picked up and told me since my baby has a fever to dress her really warm and rub rubbing alcohol on her body. Well I thought it was pretty funny. I've had all kinds of advice given to me that makes me laugh for days. What the weirdest and funniest thing someone has told you to do that made you laugh? Did you try it and did it work?New baby and asking for advice?
My youngest son was born in the middle of the night so he had his days and nights mix up as some baby's do. I was talking to my mother in law one day and was extremely tired having just been up all night. She told me to put my son on the floor. Grab him by the ankle{gently} and roll his feet over his head so he does a suto Summer salt ending with him on his tummy facing me. This was supposed to switch his internal clock around. I am ashamed to say That although I did not think it would do anything I gave it a shot anyway.{ Hey in my defense I also had a 4 year old and by that time had about 7 hours of sleep out of 72 and was willing to do almost any thing to get some sleep.}The only thing that happened is my son let out a huge fart . Oh well Since then I have gotten some sleep{ bout 2 years of nights worth} And can see the humor in the situation! In fact I am quite sure the old bag was playing with my sleep deprived mind just to see if I'd do it!New baby and asking for advice?
For my first born who had her days and nights mixed up, my aunt and mom told me to flip the baby backwards. Ya right, I was so nervous just holding my newborn, now there telling me to flip her? I think not. lol....





Then there was my second child who was colic. A neighbour told me to put 3 of those mint chalky peppermints (the ones grandma always had) into a bottle of water and let it dissolve. Have the baby drink it and it will relieve the baby from gas pains. YA, I'll get right on that one, I don't mind taking candy from a baby at this point.
That is too funny!





I remember my Mother in Law telling me that I should give my 3 month old (exclusivly breast fed) baby, sugar water to ';clean out his system'; because of course she'd done it with all three of her boys and they'd turned out all right (which is a matter of opinion if you ask me).





I told her I didn't think it was necessary and mentioned it to my doctor who gave me the strangest look when I told him.





Also for your info...my husband is the only one in the family who is NOT overweight. Sugar water!





She also said that a pacifier was a good thing to give my baby and tried to force it on him (because I guess her boys used them). She would even try to shove it in his mouth while he was soundly sleeping.





Maybe by far the best though was when I was a baby, I was colic, and the doctor told my dad to give me a bottle of 5:1 water: rye to calm me so I could sleep. The doctor even had some in his bag to offer.
My baby had very little hair and some people told me that to make it grow thicker and faster, to put brandy on his scalp. I never tried it.
I'll be honest: I don't ask people like my parents, etc. for advice on baby care. The ';rules'; change no much -- half of what our parents did for us now fall under the heading of ';do NOT do this!'; according to most pediatricians. For example, the old ';rule'; about bundling up a baby with a fever and rubbing them down with rubbing alcohol? I had that done to me, too, when I was a kid, but it's one of those things that parents are advised not to do.





No one's given me unsolicited advice, either, except for teething advice and the use of alcohol. Although to be fair, no one is advising me to rub whiskey on my babies' gums, so much as making tongue in cheek comments because they KNOW that I'm not going to do that (and because, way back when, every parent did)!
I was told to put peppermint oil in bottle for colic! I did not do it and the special formula cured him thank God, but there are so many tales from older people, that make ya wonder how we use to make it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My mother had an old Spanish cure for bay hiccups. She told me to put a string from my clothing on her forehead.....????lol! Don't ask... I did not do it, they went away on their own.
putting the baby on the dryer. didn't do it. blowing in their face when they start a screaming fit. did it doesnt work. bicycle workout for gas. did it, didn't work. i cant even think aof any more
Well if you rub herr with one of thoose green tomtos looking [sorry don't know the name of it] but it has to be warm like boile it and then cut it in half and rub it on her and then wrap her up warmly
The most ridiculous advice I have ever gotten:





';Don't hold a baby too much or you will spoil them';





';Just let her cry it out to get her to sleep, its the only way. Besides it strengthens their lungs';





Yikes. Its amazing some people are allowed to be parents.
My grandparents would not stop telling me to give my breastfeeding daughter some rice cereal - when she was only a month old! And they kept saying the pediatrician would tell me to start any day if I didn't listen to them. Of course, she was almost 6 months before I gave her ANY solid food, and we didn't even start with cereal :)
my mom used to do this to me..but not all over my body ..just on the soles of my feet.not sure if it worked or was coincidence but my fever broke...her father passed this remedy to her

No comments:

Post a Comment