Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Extreme fear of flying and stuck in NEW YORK advice needed desperately can you please help what should I do?

So I am in a really bad situation,Im stuck in NYC,out of money,sick and loosing my apartment my landlord wants me out by next week.My mom said I could stay with her in my home state of Wisconsin for a few months until I could find an apartment and stand on my feet.I have some health issues that is preventing me from working for now,and I am in a very bad mess because I don't have health insurance,and the standard of care for medicaid is really bad quality.My big problem is I suffer from extreme panic attacks on airplanes,and I mean extreme,I start crying and shaking at the slightest bit of air turbulance.My heart pounds my palms sweat,i start crying uncontrollably,and start hysterically asking nearby passengers to reassure me we were not all about to be doomed.Everyone gets really disturbed and mad at me.I have tried flying several times in the last 2 years even buying a ticket and backing down at the last min,because I was frozen with fear to the point I couldnt function,felt nausiated and dizzy.I have thought about seeing a doctor for some sedatives,but I do not have enough time to wait for an appointment,and I am totally broke as well.I have just enough for a plane ticket.I am so overcome with anxiety I am unable to sleep just thinking about the sound,sites and sensations of the airport and airplane itself,I have tried reading overcoming fear of flight courses online,prayer,talking myself out of it,positive self-motivation etc etc.Nothing seems to be working.I have begged and pleaded with every family member i have to come and drive me back,but none of them have the time or ability to get off work for that.Also due to my health issues,and back problems its impossible for me to take a greyhound or train.So I'm stuck with only two options being homeless on the streets of NY or having a major panic attack in flight if I even make it on board that is,because I am so overcom with anxiety I cannoot imagine even getting to the airport let alone on the plane and in the flight itself.My anxiety seems to be amplified from my depression and anger about loosing all the money I invested in my apartment and NEW YORK,and my recent health diagnosis of serious illness,and injury.I am in chronic pain and have a bad back,which makes it hard to sit,or walk around airports,so i WILL have to request a wheelchair.My question is,what should I DO??I do not want to make the other passengers uncomfortable,because I cannot predict how severe my panic attack will get on board the plane,and if there is any turbulance,I may start screaming,vomiting and even begging to be let off mid-air,without possibility of calming myself down and even crying.I have tried everything I can think of to stop my panic attacks but it seems I have lost control of myself.I have tried all the deep breathing,I truly wish they would offer the option of being put under anesthesia during flight and woken up at landing.PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD DO???Extreme fear of flying and stuck in NEW YORK advice needed desperately can you please help what should I do?
Buy a train ticket!Extreme fear of flying and stuck in NEW YORK advice needed desperately can you please help what should I do?
I don't understand why you can't take a bus or a train .
You could withstand the car ride but not a train? Iam not vey familiar with train travel but I assume they have some type of direct ride. Also the train gives you option to sit or stand depending on your back.





Good luck
You have to use some of the little money you've got to get some Xanax - it does work well for people who are scared of flying.
My first thought is to use the railroad. I understand what you say about your back, but a train would be much, much faster than a bus.





It's important for you to understand that the panic disorder is itself a phobia. Fast heartbeat and sweat happen with aerobics, and there鈥檚 no reason to fear them, but they will be feared as symptoms of attacks. Sometimes, relief comes from the person seeing that the real problem is not the attack but fear of the attack. What you need is acceptance, of fast heartbeat, feeling queasy, and yes even feeling a bit upset. Do you know those ';Chinese handcuffs';? The thing that fits on your fingers, and the more you try to pull your hands apart the tighter the two ends get? The lesson is, don't struggle and let the symptoms come and go as they please.





It might help to imagine yourself in a plane while you're in a relaxed state (Progressive Relaxation, slow deep breathing, imagining a warm sandy beach). You could also relax while exposing yourself to pictures of planes and You Tube videos, building up to scary things, like Snakes on a Plane.
Can you get to a doctor? They will give you some sort of sedative, like a xanax or something to help you through it.


Also ask for special seating by the aisle or bathroom in case you feel you have to ';escape';. Have ';safety'; devices like a plastic bag in case you feel sick (you'll probably not need it but it is nice to have it in case).


And honestly, for a quick fix have a few drinks beforehand to calm you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment