Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I'm starting a new job and am worried about my dog being home alone, advice please?

I got a new job that I'm starting on Monday. 8-5 and it's too far of a commute to come home for lunch so my dachshund Oliver will be home alone all that time by himself. Ever since I've had him, I've worked from home, so he's never been alone for that long.





I have kongs, toys, bully sticks, and other stuff to occupy him so hopefully that would help. I would put him in doggy day care but I don't think I could afford it. Any suggestions? Am I worrying too much??? He is potty trained and not a barker, I';m just worried he will be really lonely... :(I'm starting a new job and am worried about my dog being home alone, advice please?
Leave the TV on for him tuned to Animal Planet, that will keep him company, your other option is to get another doggie to keep him company or a cat. You can also leave the radio on.I'm starting a new job and am worried about my dog being home alone, advice please?
instead of doggy daycare why don't you look into have a private dog walker come in to take him for a 30 minute walk mid-day? if you use a smaller pet sitting company, then you will get a pretty fair price. stay away from franchised companies because they charge more. most importantly make sure they are bonded and insured and can show you proof that they are.
He will be fine. Maybe consider doggie day care for a few days a week. Maybe would be affordable and give him something to do for some of the days you are gone so long. Do you have anyone who can look in on him during the day at least once? Just have to be creative. If you can't do any of this, your dog should be fine, but could become bored and might make up his own fun. You may not like what he does.
You should try it for a few days to see how he does. If he is really, really lonely, maybe you could get him a buddy to play with?
Do you have a neighbor or a friend that could take care of him for you? Leaving him alone all that time is not a good idea. You should consider getting another dog from a shelter. They are not typically expesnsive and need loving homes. Although it would not be a good idea to purchase a new dog on a day you are working as it will need time to adjust to you and it's new surroundings. By the way, I was reading a new study on dogs the other day, and it said that the last thing your dog sees you doing before you leave, is a big trigger for the dog to destroy the it. You MIGHT be able to leave your dog outside if you have a big enough yard and an electric collar (or a fenced in yard.) Just amke sure you supply food and fresh, cool water, and lot's of toys! Also, please, please, please don't cage him! That is the absolute WORST thing you could ever do if you are gone!!! Your dog will already be scared because you are gone, but he will have nowhere to go and will also be stressed out because of the limited space he has, and he will most likely have to use the bathroom while you are gone. Could you possibly bring him to work with you? If you need any more help, please contact me CharmedLvr2332@aol.com


Good Luck!! Let me know what you decide!





Also leave the tv on for him!!! That's reallly important! But nothing where there is screaming or crying, as that will upset him even more. Try a channel like Disney, r Nick. I wouldn't do nimal planet because seeing other animals could upset him to.
You may be over reacting a bit. My advice is to graduatly let him/her know that you will be leaving.Go to the store, if you come back and he has been good, give him a treat, if not, let him or her see and realize he or she hasn't done good and give them nothing.
I think he will be Ok. You may have a bit of adjustment but most dogs do well on their own.





As long as there is something to do or watch he should be fine.





One thing though. Do not act like it is a big deal. If you treat him differently when you leave and come back he will think there is something terribly wrong and get anxious. Just say goodbye as you normally would when you leave in the morning and when you return in the evening just act like you were just out for a few minutes. His primary concern will probably be that you are all right so if he sees you are fine then he will not worry.
a dog loves attension if theres someone whos there when your not then thats fine





but if you want a happy healthy dog you should take your dog with you if possible





if u can't take your dog with you give it some exercise before you go so it will rest more when your gone and if you want you can leave some music on the sound of voices calms the dog if worried
You can leave the tv on or a radio that will help. I have to leave my dog alone and she reacts somewhat just dog proof things that he can get into and you won't come home to WWIII when you come home from work. Good luck






No comments:

Post a Comment